Saturday, September 18, 2010

Meaux



After Dormans, we had a short stop in Château-Thierry and then onto Meaux where we’ve been since last Saturday. Château-Thierry was another nice town with the remains of a medieval fortress above it. I visited a museum which used to be the home of Jean de la Fontaine, the fable writer. The house was full of editions of his books in many languages and a variety of items depicting images relating to the fables – paintings, screens, tapestries, games, ornaments, crockery, etc… Had I been coming back to school, I’d have bought a colouring book in the gift shop!


Meaux is a great place to stop. It’s a pretty town with a safe, free mooring including power and water – and it’s only 30 minutes on the train to Paris. We took the train and looked at the Paris moorings and decided to stay here instead. I went in again on Wednesday to Galeries Lafayette and then Musée d’Orsay. It’s not so much fun shopping on your own so I’m really looking forward to meeting my sister at the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment